The Very Rev. John Fiennes Twisleton Crampton
Another name for John was The Very Rev. Provost John Fiennes Twisleton Crampton B.A.
Noted events in his life were:
• Grave: Churchyard, Holy Trinity Aughrim, Co. Galway.
• Memorial: Holy Trinity Church, Aughrim, Co. Galway, Ireland.
• Occupation: Provost of Kilmacduagh. 11 Rector of Aughrim and Prebendary of Kilteshill, Co. Galway.
• Religion: Church of Ireland, 1817-1888.
• Residence: Ireland, 1817-1888.
• Birth, 26 Apr 1817. A pedigree of the Fiennes, Twisleton and Crampton families was recorded in about 1826, showing a descent from James Fiennes, 2nd Viscount Saye and Sele (died 1674). He married Frances, daughter and coheir of Edward Cecil, Viscount Wimbledon. Their grandson Cecil married George Twisleton. The pedigree descends to Charlotte, who married 13 January 1731 the Revd. John Crampton, Archdeacon of Tuam. The pedigree ends with John Fienes [sic] Twisleton Crampton, only son of John Crampton and Louisa his wife formerly Fyers. The entry includes a certificate stating that John Fienes Twisleton Crampton, eldest son of John Crampton of Upper Merrion Street, Dublin, was born Saturday 26 April 1817, and was baptized 23 May 1817 in the parish of St Anne, Dublin. The sponsors were Charles Kendal Bushe (now Lord Chief Justice of the King's Bench Ireland); the Revd. Josiah Crampton, Rector of Castle Connell; and Charlotte Austin. [Ulster's Office records 15/263].
• Education, 4 Nov 1833-1838, Trinity College, Dublin. 8 John Fiennes Twisleton Crampton, who paid a fixed sum annually, entered Trinity College on November 4, 1833, aged 16. His Schoolmaster was Mr. Enright. John Fiennes Twisleton Crampton was born in Dublin and was the son of John Crampton, the Inspector-General. He graduated with a BA (Bachelor of Arts) in spring 1838.
• Occupation: Rector of Aughrim, 1845-1888, Aughrim, Galway, Connacht, Ireland.
• Presentation: Address and presentation to the Rev. John F. T. Crampton, Rector of Aughrim, by his Parishioners, 4 Jul 1873, Infant School House, Aughrim, Galway, Connacht, Ireland. We feel great pleasure in directing the attention of our readers to an advertisement in our columns with reference to the pleasing announcement of an address and presentation to the Rev. John F. T. Crampton, Rector of Aughrim, by his Parishioners. Both speak well for the kind and cordial feeling existing in that parish between pastor and people.
John married Anna Handcock, daughter of Arthur Handcock and Hon. Margaret Downing, on 1 May 1845 in Ballinasloe Church, Ballinasloe, Galway, Connacht, Ireland.1 (Anna Handcock was born circa 1820, died on 1 Aug 1855 13 and was buried on 5 Aug 1855 in Churchyard, Holy Trinity Aughrim, Co. Galway 14.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
John next married Frances Crofton Staveley, daughter of Rev. Robert Staveley III and Sarah Frances Crofton, on 11 Mar 1858 in St. Peter's, Dublin, Leinster, Ireland.2 4 11 (Frances Crofton Staveley was born on 11 Dec 1837 in Dublin, Leinster, Ireland,2 died on 1 Aug 1889 in 37 De Vere Gardens, Kensington, London 16 and was buried on 5 Aug 1889 in Churchyard, Holy Trinity Aughrim, Co. Galway.)
1 Peter Kenelm Wingfield Digby (RIN. 3607), Exeter, England [(E-ADDRESS) FOR PRIVATE USE,] to Ryan John Kriste, e-mail, 27 Sep 2011, "Re: Third Cousin"; privately held by Kriste.
Henry Thomas Crofton et al, The Crofton Memoirs, 1911 (Trinity College Dublin Library Collection
An account of JOHN CROFTON of Ballymerry, Co. Roscommon, Queen Elizabeth's (I) Escheator-General of Ireland and of His Ancestors and Descendants and other Bearing the Name.), Page 308.
Peter O'Donoghue Bluemantle Pursuivant, "College of Arms," p. 2; report to Ryan John Kriste, [STREET ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Royal Tunbridge Wells, Kent, 14 December 2009; Research done on behalf of Ryan Kriste by the Bluemantle Pursuivant of the College of Arms (Queen Victoria Street, London EC4V 4BT - www.college-of-arms.gov.uk). The official repository of the coats of arms and pedigrees of English, Welsh, Northern Irish and Commonwealth families and their descendants.
4 Department of Tourism, Culture and Sport, "Irish Genealogy," database (www.irishgenealogy.ie : accessed 29 Aug 2010), Marriage Records.
5 John Fiennes Twisleton Crampton (Family Tree - Aughrim Rectory), "The Very Reverend," supplied by (Family Tree - Aughrim Rectory), [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Royal Tunbridge Wells, Kent; Passed down through the family via George Crampton to Eileen Crampton to Colleen Engelsman to Ryan Kriste.
6 Crockford's Clerical Directory (N.p.: n.p., n.d.), 758.
7 Charles Mosley, Editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage - 107th Edition (Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003) www.burkespeerage.com, 1.
8 George Dames Burtchaell M.A., K.C., M.R.I.A. (Sometime Deputy Ulster King of Arms) and Thomas Ulick Sadleir M.A., M.R.I.A., editors, Alumni Dublinensis - A Register of the Students, Graduates, Professors, and Provosts of Trinity College, in the University of Dublin (London: Williams & Northgate, 1924 - www.archivecdbooks.ie, 2005), Pg. 187.
9 Peter O'Donoghue Bluemantle Pursuivant, "College of Arms," p. 3; report to Ryan John Kriste, [STREET ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Royal Tunbridge Wells, Kent, 14 December 2009.
10 Grave Monument, Monument in Aughrim Church, Galway.
11 Peter O'Donoghue Bluemantle Pursuivant, "College of Arms," p. 2; report to Ryan John Kriste, [STREET ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Royal Tunbridge Wells, Kent, 14 December 2009.
12 Holy Trinity Aughrim (Aughrim, Co. Galway, Ireland), "Burial Records," No. 220; Aughrim Rectory, Ballinasloe.
13 Holy Trinity Aughrim (Aughrim, Co. Galway, Ireland), "Death Records"; Aughrim Rectory, Ballinasloe.
14 Holy Trinity Aughrim (Aughrim, Co. Galway, Ireland), "Burial Records," No. 59; Aughrim Rectory, Ballinasloe.
15 Peter Kenelm Wingfield Digby (RIN. 3607), Exeter, England [(E-ADDRESS) FOR PRIVATE USE,] to Ryan John Kriste, e-mail, 30 Sep 2011, "Re: Children of JFT Crampton"; privately held by Kriste.
16 England and Wales, Death Certificate for Frances Crofton Crampton, died 01 August 1889; citing 01A/68/85, July/August/September quarter 1889, Kensington registration district, Kentish Town sub-district; General Register Office, Southport.
Please add your comments to the